Society is becoming increasingly sophisticated in its use of and need for climate information on regional scales. The NCAR Regional Climate Modeling Program (NRCMP) seeks to meet this need by:
- increasing our knowledge of regional climate processes;
- developing improved dynamical and statistical modeling systems;
- interacting with end users to produce relevant information, and;
- providing support for community research.
Regional climate science has come a long way since its initial inception in the early 1990s, yet significant challenges remain. The broad science challenges our research addresses include:
- the upscale influence of weather on global climate;
- interactions between extreme events and climate;
- uncertainty in regional climate variability and change;
- societal impacts of weather and climate extremes.